|Corrosion resistance :
- Life span of the FRP/GRP pipes is good as there is no internal nor external corrosion, once appropriate resin is selected for particular operating condition& is appropriately supported externally you can easily expect a life span of 15-20 years.
- It is suitable for weak to strong acids from alkaline chemicals to saline water & solvents.
- No requirement of external epoxy coating.
- The weight of the FRP pipes is much lesser than the corresponding MS or concrete pipes thus easily transportable & erected resulting into reduced erection cost.
- This system has excellent strength to weight properties. When the ratio of strength per unit of weight is considered, GRP/FRP composites surpass iron, carbon and stainless steel as shown in below table.
||Tensile strength (Mpa)
|Fire Retardant properties :
- Pipes can be specially manufactured with fire retardant properties for fire fighting application.
- Industries can use FRP/GRP pipes made from fire retardant resin inorder to reduce the possibility of the pipes themselves catching fire at the same time getting desired pressure in the system without fear of lekage due to corrosion which is the most common phenomenon in mild steel pipes.
Methods of manufacturing
- Gives resin rich surface thus better in corrosion resistance
- Preferred for lower PN ratings & lower sizes
- Can be made easily for small quantities
- Good for large diameter & high PN ratings
- Cost effective as compared to hand lay-up
Methods of Joining
1.For complete FRP/GRP pipes
- Butt & Strap method
- Fixed flange bolting arrangement
- Stubend with loose flange bolting arrangement
2.For complete thermoplastic pipes
- Butt welding using mirror machine
- Solvent chemicals
- Manual welding
3.Thermoplastic + FRP/GRP pipes
- Butt welding using Machine/ Manual + Butt & Strap for FRP/GRP
- Solvent chemicals + FRP / GRP
Design Codes used for pipes:
- Thermoplastic pipes :
- FRP Pipes
Previous: PTFE LINER PIPE SERIES PRODUCTS
Next: HDPE SERIES PRODUCTS